The Catholic church has been partially listed since 1926.
The first church was built in the 9th century: probably a fortified church built by monks from Saint-Michel-en-l'Herm. In 1120, a bull from Pope Callixtus II mentions St Gilles in the list of abbeys and priories dependent on St-Gilles-du-Gard. Who was St Gilles? An Athenian nobleman who came to Gaul after distributing his wealth to the poor. All that remains of this first church are the foundations of the large north pillar supporting the bell tower. It was destroyed by the English at the beginning of the 14th century and probably rebuilt by them a little later, which is why it is called the "Church of the English"... Then came the Wars of Religion. The Protestants destroyed the church, leaving only the aisle and the bell tower. In 1613, the Catholics of St-Gilles rebuilt their church. At the end of the French Revolution, the church was returned to worship, and in 1871 it was restored. It was rebuilt in 1883 and restored in 1903 and 1977.
The church of Saint Gilles has
- In the north aisle, a 17th century stained glass window depicting a battle during the French Wars of Religion in the Vendée marshes was listed in 1927 and then declassified.
- The church also contains a copy of Titian's painting The Virgin and the Rabbit, on display at the Louvre: this copy was painted in 1900 by Charles Atamian (1872-1947) and donated by the painter's family in April 1936.
- A Way of the Cross, comprising 14 paintings and a fresco in lava slab, created in 1979 by local artist Henry Simon.